Whether you are a business, model or Instagram enthusiast, Stop-Motion allows you to make a dynamic video using a series of individual photos. It's a great way to share content in a different way than using simple videos.
What is Stop-Motion?
Stop-Motion is animation that is captured one frame at time, with physical objects that are moved between frames. When you play back the sequence of images rapidly, it creates the illusion of movement.
Why use Stop-Motion?
Stop-Motion allows more creativity for video production and provides Instagram users with a new, simple, yet innovative way to create animated content. Stop-Motion captivates the imagination of viewers with a purpose of production that allows you to show images that can compliment your next campaign and make your identity more memorable.
What do you need to know before creating a Stop-Motion video on Instagram?
- The tool doesn’t limit you to a specific timing sequence.
- You can't make edits to your photos once you've created them in the Stop-Motion feature, however, you can add filters, stickers, and other features once you have finished filming.
- You can save your Stop-Motion videos to your Instagram highlights just like any other story and also publish your video as a post on your feed if you want your content to stay online for longer.
- Once you have created your Stop-Motion video, you can add sound in apps such as Cateater. This app is great for Stop-Motion support, you can import tracks, media content and lets you create content in ultra high definition.
How do you create a Stop-Motion video on Instagram?
1. To start creating a stop-motion video, open Instagram and swipe left into your Story to access the Instagram camera. Then you’ll see Stop-Motion as one of the available modes listed at the bottom of the screen. You just have to scroll all the way right, to hit the Stop-Motion option.
2. Then, you can capture a series of different photos using either side of your camera. Once you have captured your content in order of view, click 'Done' at the top of the screen.
3. Now you can get creative, adding text overlay, filters, stickers, drawings and more features!
4. Once you've finished editing, you can send your newly filmed Stop-Motion content direct to your followers and share on your Instagram feed. Just like normal Instagram Stories, your content will be shown for 24 hours, but you can also save your videos so you can post them on your feed, or even your Instagram Highlights.
What scenarios can you next use Stop-Motion for?
1. for a different take on a standout selfie
Both Stop-Motion and GIFs are seeing a revival as a short-form of creative video that has become a personalised artistic outlet. Because Instagram also integrates both your front and the back camera, this means you can create new selfie GIFs. We suggest that you'll get the best results with a clip between two and ten seconds long, and adjusting the compression settings so that the final file size is under 1MB and allows you to repost the GIF and create a playful perspective of your identity.
This is a great way to show behind the scenes content and show selfies in a whole new way! Take a few frames of you in Stop-Motion, put them together, and you have a GIF-like selfie!
2. to highlight a product
Stop-Motion also allows brands and influencers to bring to life product promotion in a new, creative way through its choppy and playful visuals. Start by placing the product on a flat surface, then move it slightly up/down/left or right. If they are shoes, imagine them walking from one side of the picture to the other. When the frames are put together, it will look like the item is physically moving in a staggered way.
"Stop-Motion animation has become an incredibly attractive way of advertising for brands and marketers who are increasingly turning to micro advertisements to reach mobile users," explained Rob Fishman, co-founder of the technology platform Niche.
Check out a few of these videos below to show an awesome variety of unique ways that can inspire you to show your product in movement.
Stop-Motion content created by Killarney Films.
3. to share your experience at an event
You can use Stop-Motion content to share an experience such as when you attend an event. By using Stop-Motion you can specifically highlight key moments during an event and showcase them on your profile to your audience.
If you are hosting an event, you can even make a Stop-Motion video ahead of your opening of the key features, to give your audience a hint of what they should expect when they attend. This can be a fun and creative way to show a sneak peak of what's to come, increasing RSVPs and raising awareness about your event. Shoot the standout elements of your event that you want guests to remember. The outside of it, the bar, the photobooth, anything colourful or even a particular guest. You can even do a Stop-Motion of the journey from the outside of the event, walking into it, and then showing the inside and the crowd.
4. to share new recipes or create a tutorial
Let your audience be part of your process. For example, if you have a food brand or want to show your latest recipe masterpieces, use Stop-Motion to create an interactive video to show your food in a new way that instantly entices your audience.
Beauty tutorials also look great in Stop-Motion, as they enable you show the whole whole process in a limited amount of time, to not lose your audience's attention span.
5. To play with your audience's mind
Stop-Motion allows you to play around with different products, so you can animate them in a way that tricks your audience to see something different that engages them instantly.
For example, as seen below, Evan Hilton has used lemons in various shots to show an explosion of fruit and colour in his video which was animated through Stop-Motion. You could re-create this by placing different objects in a mix of different orders, then Stop-Motion allows you to eliminate the process of physically placing the products so the content creates a fun fluidity that plays with the viewer's mind and entices them to watch for longer.
Want to go the extra mile?
If you have a wider budget or graphic design knowledge you can even incorporate effects and dynamic features to make your videos even more impactful! Remember you can even add different sound effects to link with your content and boost your video's emphasis! Check out some of these videos below for some content inspiration!
We hope these top tips have helped inspire your content creation! Remember to mention @modelvillage.co in your posts and show us how you have created your own Stop-Motion videos!