Cod is a great source of lean protein and is low in fat and calories. A standard portion can give women 35-40% of their recommended daily allowance of protein. Your body uses protein for energy and also for jobs such as building and maintaining muscles, skin, bones, enzymes and hormones.
120g fillet of cod
125g (cooked weight) Brown rice
Small tin of chopped tomatoes (200g)
Finely chopped fresh basil
Spray Cooking oil
Mixed salad leaves
1. Place the rice into a saucepan of boiling water and leave to cook on a low heat.
2. Whilst the rice is cooking pour water into a pan large enough to hold the cod- use enough water to cover the it by at least 1 inch.
3. Bring the water to a simmer over a low heat. The water should shimmer (no bubbles).
4. Place the cod into the liquid and cover the pan. Let it poach for about 6 mins- until the cod flakes- and remove it from the pan.
5. Place it on a small baking tray that has been sprayed with oil.
6. Empty the tinned tomatoes into a bowl and stir in the basil leaves and then pour over the cod.
7. Cover the baking dish with foil and place in a pre-heated oven for 10 minutes.
8. The rice should be cooked so drain and spoon onto a plate along with the mixed salad leaves.
9. Take the baking dish out of the oven and remove the foil and spoon the cod on top of the brown rice along with the tomato and basil sauce.
10. Sprinkle with grated mozzarella.