Fritattas are the perfect meal for a model as they are low in fat, high in protein, quick, healthy and cheap. Eggs are inhigh protein which means they are more filling and also replenish muscles after exercise.
They are something nearly everyone has in their kitchen, so if you've been in a long photoshoot or a day of castings you don't have to worry about doing a big food shop.
There's not really a "right" way to make them. I recommend a cast-iron or oven-safe non-stick skillet, Stainless steel pans also work, but you'll need extra oil to make sure the eggs don't stick to the pan.
Frittatas are also suitable for anyone who is vegan, or following a gluten, dairy or wheat free diet.
You can also make mini Fritattas in a muffin tray (make sure you oil or grease it with butter) or in cupcake holders. This is a great idea because you can make a variety of flavours and keep them in the fridge for a quick and easy breakfast or snack.
Here is a link to a video if you need some help!
The basic ingredients
3 eggs (use egg whites for lower fat but you will loose the crucial omegas and healthy fats in the Yolk)
Now pick you're own ingredients- pick a source of protein, some vegetables and carbohydrates like:
Chopped spring onion
Mushrooms, diced or thinly sliced
1 sausages, diced
1 small tin of Tuna
1 cup shredded chicken, pork, ham or beef
1 cup tofu, diced
Potatoes - boil and thinly slice
Leftover noodles or pasta
OR ANY other leftovers you may have in the fridge
Now pick Seasoning and/or a sauce :
1-3 teaspoons spices, like oregano, basil, thyme, smoked paprika, cumin, chili powder
0.25 garlic, minced
Salt / pepper
If you are adding some carbohydrates boil then slice some potatoes and layer on top towards the end of cooking , and brush a small amount of oil (coconut is very healthy) and put under the grill so they go crispy.
Or some breadcrumbs if you have some bread you need to use up - this is also quicker if you don't have time.
Lets do it!
Heat the oven.
1. If using meat and it is raw, cook it first and then remove it from the pan to add back in later.
Cook the vegetables with a little oil over medium-high heat, or in the microwave.
Add any protein that's not raw (tuna, ham etc) you are using and mix with the vegetables in the pan (oiled) just enough to warm through.
2. Sprinkle the cheese on top and let it just start to melt.
3. Add the Eggs: Whisk the eggs together and pour them over the vegetables, your protein and cheese. Tilt the pan to make sure the eggs settle evenly over all the vegetables. Cook for a minute or two until you see the eggs at the edges of the pan beginning to set.
4. Add the potatoes or breadcrumbs on top if using.
5. Bake the Frittata: Put the entire pan (or whatever you are using, you can use a baking dish or muffin tray as mentioned above) in the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes until the eggs are set.
To check, cut a small slit in the centre of the frittata. If raw eggs run into the cut, bake for another few minutes; if the eggs are set, pull the frittata from the oven.
6. Grate some extra cheese on top and place under a pre heated grill for extra crispiness. This is great if using potatoes or breadcrumbs on top.
Cool for five minutes, then slice into wedges and serve. Leftovers will keep refrigerated for a week.
Here are some delicious examples :
Tomatoes, tuna and basil
smoked ham and cheese
pesto and chicken.
Cheese and tomato
Avacado and prawns
Pesto and prawns
Ham with Cheesey potatoes on top
Spinach and ham